This pasta dish is perfect for a light summer meal. Homemade cappelletti pasta filled with four kinds of cheese served with a beech mushroom, charred sweet corn, and snap pea truffle sauce.
Place 1 1/2 cups sifted flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt into stand mixer bowl. Attach the bowl and flat beater. Turn to speed 2 and gradually add 2 large eggs and 1 – 2 tablespoons of water enough to form a dough. Mix for 30 seconds.
Using the mixer: You can continue to use the mixer to knead the dough by exchanging the flat beater for the dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and knead for 2 minutes. By hand: I prefer to finish the process by hand so I can test the stickiness. Remove the dough from the bowl on a lightly floured surface, knead dough about 1 minute or until smooth. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let stand for 20 minutes.
Divide the dough into four portions. Place the pasta roller attachment to stand. Set the roller to setting 2. Turn the speed to 2. Feed flattened dough into rollers. Fold dough in half and roll again. Repeat until dough is smooth and pliable and covers the width of the roller.
In a small bowl, combine 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water; set aside. Cut rolled dough into 2-inch squares. Brush squares lightly with egg mixture.
In a medium bowl mix 1 cup ricotta, 1 ounce of shredded parmesan, 1 ounce of shredded asiago, 2 ounces shredded swiss, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.
Leaving a 1/2 – inch border around the edges place about 1 teaspoon of filling diagonally across the dough.
Fold the dough over into a triangle. Using your fingers, press the dough around each mound of filling until the sides stick.
Gently roll over and fold and pinch the ends together. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
Cut the corn off of 3 ears of corn. Heat 3 tablespoons of white truffle oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the corn and a 1/4 cup of fresh peas to skillet. Sauté until corn begins to char, and the peas are tender about 6 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of brown beech mushrooms and sauté another 3 minutes. For a bit more color, I thinly sliced kale leaves and added them to the corn.
To cook cappelletti, in a Dutch oven, bring a large amount of salted water to boiling. Gently drop the pasta into the boiling water working in batches. Stir to prevent them from sticking. Simmer gently for 3 -4 minutes. Remove to a plate using a slotted spoon.
This was my first time making homemade pasta. It was much easier than I anticipated and it has a richer taste. For the first time, it went well. I rolled the pasta at the 2 setting since I was making Cappelletti. I think next time I’ll roll it thinner, maybe at the 3 or 4 setting. Still, the flavors of this dish were so good I will be making it again! – Ella
Summer Truffle Cappelletti
• 2 large eggs
• 1 1/2 cup sifted flour
• 1 – 2 tablespoons water
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 egg white
• 1 tablespoon water
• 1 cup ricotta
• 1 ounce parmesan, shredded
• 1 ounce asiago, shredded
• 2 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
• 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 3 ears of corn
• 3 tablespoon white truffle oil
• 1/4 cup fresh peas
• 1/2 cup brown beech mushrooms
- Place flour and salt in Stand Mixer bowl. Attach bowl and flat beater. Turn to speed 2 and gradually add eggs and 1 tablespoon water. Mix for 30 seconds Add more water if need to for a ball. Stop the stand Mixer and exchange the flat beater for the dough hook. Turn to Speed 2 and knead for 2 minutes.
- Let dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces. Attach the pasta roller to mixer. Turn roller setting to 2. Turn the stand mixer speed to 2. Feed flattened dough into rollers. Fold dough in half and roll again. Repeat until dough is smooth and pliable and covers the width of the roller. Lightly dust pasta with flour while rolling and cutting to aid in drying and separating.
- Change the roller setting to 3 or 4. Feed dough through rollers to further flatten the sheet of dough. Do not fold the dough during this step.
- To shape cappelletti, in a small bowl, combine the egg white with 1 tablespoon water: set aside. Cut rolled dough into 2-inch squares. Brush squares lightly with egg mixture.
- Mix all the cheese ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Place a teaspoon of cheese in the center of each pasta square. Fold into a triangle. Using your fingers, press the dough around each mound of filling so that the seams stick together. Roll the triangle over once and fold and pinch the points together forming the cappelletti.
- To cook ravioli, in a Dutch oven bring a large amount of salted water to boiling. Gently drop about a fourth of the cappelletti into boiling water and stir to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Simmer gently for 3 04 4 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Shuck and remove silks from corn. Cut the corn off the cob.
- In a medium skillet heat the white truffle oil. Add the corn and peas to the skillet. Sauté for 6 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté an additional 3 minutes. Spoon over the cappelletti and serve immediately.