There are those dishes that define a season and the rituals of that season. In the Fall that is chili, tailgating, football. But in the summer, it is burgers, picnics, and beaches. You cannot have burgers without a perfect side dish and for me, that is this smoked potato salad! I’ve been perfecting this dish for some time now and I think it’s finally ready to be shared. So, fire up the grill!
For that nice smoke flavor, you want to add some wood smoking chips to your charcoal. The heat will stay lower taking more time to grill, but you will get more of that wonderful smoky flavor that is great for this recipe. Soak 1/2 a bag, approximately 100 cubic inches, of wood chips in water for 30 minutes. Start a charcoal grill preheating the coals. Cut 6 red potatoes in half and place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5-8 minutes. Brush the cut sides with olive oil.
Cut 1 red onion, 1 sweet onion, and 1 yellow onion in half. Using only 1/2 of each of the onions brush the cut sides of the remaining onions with olive oil.
Spread out hot charcoal. Drain water from the chips and spread on top of the charcoal.
Place potatoes and onions on grate and grill for 10 – 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender but not soft. Think al dente. You want them to have some firmness that will hold up to being cut and tossed without falling apart.
Take the potatoes off the grill and wrap in foil. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to stop the cooking process. Remove the onions and set aside until later.
Remove from the refrigerator and cut the potatoes into bite-sized cubes and dice the onions. Add 2 stalks diced celery, 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper, 1/3 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika, and salt and pepper to taste.
Gently toss together covering all the ingredients evenly with the dressing.
Refrigerate until ready to serve to allow the flavors to marry. Serve with your favorite grilled meats– Ella
Smoked Potato Salad
• 6 unpeeled red potatoes, sliced in half
• 1/2 red onion
• 1/2 sweet onion
• 1/2 yellow onion
• 2 stalks celery, diced
• 1/2 cup red, or orange, bell pepper, diced
• 1/3 cup mayonnaise
• l/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
• 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
• Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat a grill. (I like to add wood chips that have been soaked in water for an hour to the grill for a richer, smokier flavor.)
- Microwave the potatoes for 5 minutes.
- Brush the sliced side of the potatoes and onions with olive oil. Place cut side down on the grill and cook for 5-10 minutes, or just until fork tender. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly.
- When cool enough to handle cube the potatoes and dice the onion place back into the bowl.
- Add celery, bell peppers, mayonnaise, yogurt, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Gently mix together.
- Serve warm or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.