I love growing my own tomatoes. Ripe tomatoes are like eating sunshine right off the vine! I am always trying to find new ways to use them. I’m sure most of you have tried fried green tomatoes, but have you ever tried to fry a red tomato? I decided to try my hand at doing just that using an air frying crispier basket and curiosity. This is what I came up with: a tomato salad that looks stunning and tastes oh, so good!
Preheat oven to 400°F. Slice 1 large ripe tomatoes into 1/3-inch slices.
In a medium bowl combine 1/2 cup cornmeal, 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix well.
In a shallow bowl slightly beat 2 eggs. Coat the tomato slices in the eggs then dredge through the cornmeal mixture shaking off any excess breading.
Mist air fryer basket with oil and place 4 tomato slices in the basket. Mist the tops with oil. Bake for 5-8 minutes. Flip tomatoes over, mist with oil and bake 3-5 minutes more.
Place a tomato slice on a serving plate. Top with a 1/4 cup of watermelon chunks, 1 ounce of feta cheese, and a few slices of shaved shallot.
I like to serve with a basil infused olive oil. Add 3 tablespoons of finely minced fresh basil to 1 cup of olive oil. Shake well and set aside. The longer it sits the better the flavors will marry.
This is a simple, yet delicious salad. The tomato takes on a nice roasted flavor and blends so nicely with the toppings and basil olive oil. It looks pretty as well. – Ella
Fried Red Tomato Salad
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup cornmeal
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1 medium-size ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch slices
• Cooking spray
• 1/2 cup watermelon chunks
• 2 ounces feta cheese
• 1 shallot, shaved
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and pepper in a medium mixing bowl; stir well.
- In a shallow bowl beat the eggs. Dredge tomato slices through eggs shaking off excess liquid followed by the cornmeal mixture.
- Mist air fryer basket with oil and place 4 tomato slices in the basket. Mist the tops with oil. Bake for 5-8 minutes. Flip tomatoes over, mist with oil and bake 3-5 minutes more.
- Place a tomato on a plate and top with watermelon, feta, and onions. Serve with an olive oil and basil dressing.