Bacalhau no Forno is a traditional Portugal dish of salted cod, potatoes, onions, and olives roasted in the oven on a slow low heat. I like to bake it as a casserole in individual souffle dishes. It has excellent presentation, is simple to prepare, and I cannot find the words to tell you how well these flavors blend into golden deliciousness!
Thaw 16 ounces of frozen cod in salted water for 8-hours changing the water 2 – 3 times. Remove the cod from the water and pat dry with paper towels.
Chop the cod into small pieces.
Mince 4-5 fresh garlic cloves. Dice 1 Spanish onion. Place into a large bowl.
Add the cod, 1 10-ounce package of frozen spinach that has been thawed and drained, 3 white potatoes that have been shredded (you can substitute frozen hash browns that have been thawed if you prefer), 1/4 cup sliced black olives, a dash of nutmeg, 1/4 cup heavy cream, and 1 egg that has been slightly beaten to help hold the casserole together. Gently toss together.
Generously grease 4 small souffle dishes, or ovenproof bowls, with 2-3 tablespoons of softened butter. Divide the cod mixture evenly between the bowls.
Place the dishes on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 60 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with a hard-boiled egg. The egg blends deliciously with the other ingredients. Serve with a tossed salad and enjoy! – Ella
Bacalhau no Forno
• 4 salted cod fish fillets (1/2-inch thick)
• 4 -5 garlic cloves
• 1 Spanish onion
• 1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, thawed and drained
• 3 white potatoes, peeled and shredded
• 1/4 cup black olives, sliced
• Dash of nutmeg
• 1/4 cup heavy cream
• 1 egg, slightly beaten
• 2-3 tablespoons butter, softened
- Thaw the cod in salted water for 8 hours, refreshing the water 2 – 3 times.
- Remove the cod from the water and pat dry with paper towels. Chop into small pieces.
- Mince the garlic cloves and finely dice the onion.
- In a large bowl add the cod, onions, garlic, spinach, potatoes, black olives, nutmeg, heavy cream, and egg. Gently toss together.
- Generously grease 4 small souffle dishes with the softened butter. Spoon in the cod mixture.
- Place the dishes on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 60 minutes.