(using flatbread made from scratch).
Brown bagging it today? I have the perfect vegan wrap for you to try. It’s so quick and simple to make. It uses vegetables that can be picked fresh from the garden: beets, cucumbers, pickled carrots, chopped beet leaves. Spread with a healthy and tasteful hummus. Try it with a griddled flatbread made from scratch! Yes, please!
Make the pickled carrots: Shred three large carrots. Mix with 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons dried cranberries, a dash of sugar, and one clove of minced garlic. Salt and pepper to taste. Let sit for 30 minutes to marry the flavors. Use the extra as a side salad. Delicious!
Make the flatbread: Mix 3 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Pour in 1 cup warm water and mix to combine. On a lightly floured board knead the bread until the dough is soft and no longer sticky, adding more flour or water as needed.
Place dough back in the bowl, cover, and let sit for 15 minutes. Divide the dough into 6 – 8 equal-sized balls. I like to shape the balls into a small, fat, rectangle. It helps to give me the desired flatbread shape I’m looking for. Roll each piece of dough out into a 10” x 5” rectangle, about 1/8” thick.
Using an oil sprayer bottle filled with canola oil spray a griddle with oil and heat over medium-high heat until hot. You can use any oil, but I like canola. It has a light almost buttery flavor that compliments the bread. Drop the dough, one at a time, onto griddle and cook until golden and bubbly. Turn and do the other side. Remove and cover with a towel until ready to use.
Use 1 beet with leaves still attached. The beet does double duty in this recipe. The bulb is shredded while the leaves are thinly chopped, for approximately 1/2 a cup. Shred 1 cucumber. Set aside.
Arrange the wrap: Spread roasted red pepper hummus on one flatbread. I love the taste of Sabra. It is my go-to hummus and what I used in this recipe. Layer with shredded beets, shredded cucumber, thinly chopped beet leaves, and pickled carrots.
Roll into a wrap and enjoy! – Ella
• 3 cups flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup warm water
• Oil for spraying
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together, pour in the warm water and mix. On a lightly floured board knead the dough until it is soft and no longer sticky, adding more flour as needed.
- Place in a bowl, cover, and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal-sized balls. Roll each ball out into a 10” x 5” rectangle, about 1/8” thick.
- Spray a griddle, or cast-iron pan, with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Drop bread unto griddle and cook until golden brown and bubbly. Turn and do the other side.