Flank steak is made for marinating. I love this spicy beer-marinated version served with caramelized red peppers, onions and jalapenos. Cooked medium rare, sliced thin across the grain. Delicious!
Start by preparing the marinate. The meat will need at least 30 minutes to marinate. In a medium bowl or a shallow baking dish add one finely diced onion, four cloves of minced garlic, half a teaspoon salt, and a fourth a teaspoon of each of following: paprika, chile pepper, and ground annatto seed. Add two tablespoons sunflower oil and mix into a paste.
Whisk in a 12-ounce bottle of stout beer. Reserve two tablespoons of marinade. Place the meat in a freezer Ziploc bag and pour the marinade over the meat. If using a baking pan place steak in marinade and cover.
Marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes or longer. Remove meat from marinade. Discard any remaining marinade.
Meanwhile, slice a red and yellow bell pepper and a white onion. In a hot skillet over medium-high heat add the sliced vegetables with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon butter. Sauté, stirring every few minutes, until the onions are caramelized, and pepper are tender and slightly browned, about 15 – 20 minutes.
Grill steak, on the grill or using a grilling pan, for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Baste with reserved marinade during last few minutes of grilling. Take meat off the grill and let rest for minutes.
What is your favorite flank steak marinade? Share it in the comments. – Ella
Beer-Marinated Flank Steak
• 1 large onion, finely diced
• 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon chile pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon ground annatto seed
• 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
• 1 (12-ounce) bottle stout beer
• 1 (1 1/2 to 2-pounds) flank steak
- In a medium mix the onion, garlic, salt, paprika, chile pepper, annatto seed, and oil into a paste.
- Whisk the beer into the marinade mix. Reserve 2 tablespoons of marinade. Place meat and marinade in resealable plastic bag.
- Marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes or longer. Remove meat from marinade.
- Grill steak for 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Baste with reserved marinade during last few minutes of grilling.