I know, I know, the world needs another pasta salad like it needs more debt! But, you must try this simple and delicious recipe. I liked pasta salad okayish, but often found macaroni salad to be too sweet and dressed in too much mayonnaise. The Italian dressing version was a bit better, but it did not knock my socks off.
We were grilling hamburgers on a hot (97°F), humid, sunny day. I was looking for a cold, loaded with fresh veggies, side dish that would not take much cooking time. Of course, pasta salad came to mind. But how could I make it more appetizing? Here is what I came up with. After tasting it, I knew I had to share it. Even my non-pasta salad lovers liked this dish.
Prepare a box of elbow pasta according to directions. I like to add salt and olive oil to my water. Some say not to add oil, but I think it helps with sticking. Transfer to a strainer and rinse with cold water. Drain well.
Wash, remove stem and seeds from one red pepper. Dice into small pieces.
Wash and peel a carrot. Shred.
Wash and thinly slice two green onions.
Drain, slice and then mince one small (4 ounces) can of black olives.
Toss the vegetables in with the pasta.
In a small bowl mix a half a cup of mayonnaise, a fourth a cup of yogurt, a tablespoon of Italian salad dressing spices. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir into the macaroni mixture. Always remember, when it comes to dressing always add it little by little mixing after each addition. The dressing is supposed to enhance the flavors not become the flavors. By adding it slowly you will get the perfect blend for your tastes. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Please let me know if you try, and like, it! Do you have a favorite light pasta salad? Share it with us below in the comment section! – Ella
Macaroni Pasta Salad
• 1 box (16 ounces) elbow pasta
• 1 red pepper, diced
• 1 carrot, shredded
• 2 green onions, thinly sliced
• 1/4 cup black olives, minced
• 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
• 1 tablespoon Italian salad dressing spices
• Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to directions. Transfer to a strainer and rinse with cold water. Drain well.
- Add the red pepper, carrot, green onions, and black olives. Gently toss together.
- In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise, yogurt, Italian spices and salt and pepper. Gently stir into the macaroni mixture.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.