Let’s kick up the heat tonight! I love the sweet heat of a good Cajun dish. Tonight, I am making Cajun shrimp and andouille sausage and serving it with a Cajun butter cream sauce. There is enough spice to tingle the lips but not so much that you cannot enjoy the flavors as they hit the back of your tongue.
Peel and devein a pound of shrimp and set aside. In a small bowl combine one teaspoon ground cayenne, a half a teaspoon of black pepper, a half a teaspoon of salt, a half a teaspoon of crushed red pepper, a half a teaspoon of dried thyme, one teaspoon crushed basil leaves, and half a teaspoon oregano.
In a skillet over medium-high heat melt a third a cup of butter with 2 cloves of minced garlic, and one tablespoon Worcestershire. Stir in the spices.
Add the shrimp and a pound of sliced andouille sausage. Cook for 3 – 5 minutes, or until the shrimp is no longer pink.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together one teaspoon of cornstarch with a fourth a cup of milk until well combined. Set aside. In a small bowl mix together a fourth teaspoon cayenne powder, fourth a teaspoon black pepper, one eighth a teaspoon garlic powder, and an eighth a teaspoon of crushed red pepper. In a saucepan melt two tablespoons butter. Stir in the spice mixture and cook for one minute. Whisk in milk mixture and cook over high heat until mixture begins to thicken slightly. Remove from heat.
I like to serve this over a red-pepper and honey cornbread, click here for the recipe.
Split the cornbread in half placing the bottom on a plate. Top with the shrimp and sausage.
Drizzle the Cajun butter cream sauce on top and place the top of the bread on the side of the dish. Delicious! – Ella
Cajun Shrimp & Andouille in a Cajun Butter Cream Sauce
For the Shrimp:
• 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
• 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 tsp. crushed basil leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon oregano
• 1/3 cup butter
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
For the Cream Sauce:
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
• 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 teaspoon cornstarch
• 1⁄4 cup milk
- Set clean shrimp aside. In a small bowl combine the seasonings. Combine butter, garlic, Worcestershire, and seasonings in a skillet. When butter melts add the sausage and shrimp. Cook 3-5 minutes, or until shrimp is opaque. Cream Sauce:
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and milk until well combined. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, mix together spices and cook in hot butter for one minute. Add broth mixture and bring to a boil. Whisk over high heat until mixture begins to thicken slightly. Remove from heat. Serve hot. over vegetables.