My favorite lunch is a big ole bowl of vegetables. Whether that be tossed in a salad or simmered in a soup I love it! Fresh, colorful, and healthy what’s not to love! Recently I’ve found the bibim bowl and OMG it’s like a better mousetrap can be made. It’s the same big ole bowl of veggies but with a wow factor.
A great bibim bowl starts with the bowl style and how you want your vegetables: fresh, marinated, or sautéed. Add a topping of beef, pork, chicken, shrimp, tofu, seitan, or go crazy and add more vegetables instead. Choice a sauce. The more common selections are teriyaki, sweet and sour, or spicy, but you are only limited by your imagination. They are often served over a base of rice, but I prefer to skip the starch.
Today I’m sautéing my veggies and mixing them in a Mongolian sauce with seitan beef tips. Seitan is mock meat, or wheat meat, a popular meat substitute that can be found at most supermakets.
In a small bowl mix two tablespoons of soy sauce, one tablespoon of hoisin sauce, and two teaspoons sesame oil. Set aside.
Heat two tablespoons of oil in a skillet. Add a package of frozen mock beef tips and sauté for 3 minutes.
Stir in a cup of sliced carrots and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in two cups of broccoli flowerets and sauté for 3 minutes.
Cut a zucchini lengthwise and then slice. Add the zucchini and the soy sauce mixture to the skillet tossing to cover. Sauté a final 2 minutes.
Yum! I cannot wait for the next creation! I think I’ll go spicy and try it with chicken. So Good! – Ella
Mock Mongolian Bowl
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
• 2 teaspoons sesame oil
• 9 ounces mock beef tips
• 2 tablespoons oil
• 1 cup carrots, sliced
• 2 cups broccoli flowerets
• 1 zucchini, halved and sliced
- Mix the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and sesame oil in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in skillet. Add the frozen mock beef tips and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli and sauté an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and soy sauce mixture. Toss together and sauté a final 2 minutes.