Short ribs are admittedly a tougher cut of meat but have gained a lot of popularity in the culinary world due to their more intense flavor. I once read somewhere that you must “tame the meat”. I find that term to be the perfect description as you are taking the meat from a tough chewy piece of rawhind and turning it into a lovely soft cut of meat. The key is to cook them long and slow and if you are pan-frying use a thinner cut.
Season a pound of boneless beef short ribs with salt and pepper.
Mix a teaspoon of cumin with a teaspoon of chili powder and a half a teaspoon of dried oregano. Rub into meat. Place the meat on a rack set over a rimmed baking sheet and broil, turning once, for 8 – 10 minutes.
Transfer the ribs to a slow cooker. Cover with a can of your favorite beer. I like to use a larger beer like Budweiser. Add a bit more taste by using a Bud Lime. Cook on low for 8 hours.
In a skillet heat a tablespoon of canola oil over medium-high heat. Slice and add a poblano pepper white onion, and red pepper and cook until browned.
Remove ribs from slow cooker and cut into thin slices.
Add meat and a can of black beans that have been rinsed and drained to the peppers and onions. Cook for 2 minutes, or until beans are heated through.
Transfer to a large bowl. Top with crumbled Queso Fresco and a sliced radish. Serve over a bed of chopped lettuce or with tortilla wraps.
Dress it up with an avocado crème and green tomato-apple salsa on the side. For the avocado crème. Slice an avocado and remove the pit. Scoop the flesh into a food processor. Add a half a cup of plain Greek yogurt, the juice from one lime. Pulse until smooth. Salt and pepper, to taste. Serve on the side.
I think you’ll like this one. So Good! – Ella
• 1 pound boneless beef short rib
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• ½ teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 can of favorite beer
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 1 poblano pepper, sliced
• 1 red pepper, sliced
• 1 white onion, sliced
• 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/2 cup crumbled Queso Fresco
• 2 radishes, sliced
- Season the short ribs all over with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl mix the cumin, chili powder, and oregano. Rub into the meat.
- Place on a rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, turning once until nicely browned on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes per side.
- Transfer the ribs to a slow cooker. Pour the beer over the ribs, cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- In a large skillet heat the oil until hot. Add peppers and onion and cook until browned about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Remove the ribs from slow cooker and cut into thin slices. Add the meat and the black beans to the vegetables. Cook 2 minutes, or until beans are heated. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Top with cheese and radishes.
- This can be served over a bed of chopped lettuce or wrapped in a flour tortilla.