I was sitting downtown Nashville enjoying brunch at one of my favorite spots watching the servers carry out armloads of delicious, farm-fresh, dishes when I saw eggs served over a colorful plate of in-season vegetables. You ever do that, place your order and while you wait, enjoy the display of other dishes being served to only covet another’s order? Always after the fact, when it is too late to change your order.
Me: “I did not see that on the menu!
Husband, pointing to the blackboard: “It’s the special today.”
That beautiful dish came to mind this morning, so I went to the pantry, opened the refrigerator, to see what fresh vegetables I had on hand: sweet potato, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, oyster mushrooms, and always, always! garlic and shallots. That is how I came up with this beautiful dish I’ll call breakfast hash.
Start by making a quick and easy aioli sauce. In a small bowl mash two garlic cloves with a fourth teaspoon of coarse salt, like kosher or sea, working it into a paste. Someday I’ll invest in a mortar but until then I use a small flat-bottom, heavier ramekin to do the mashing.
Whisk in a half a cup of mayonnaise, two tablespoons olive oil, and the juice from half a lemon. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Peel and dice a sweet potato. Heat in the microwave for 4-5 minutes to soften potato but, don’t fully cook.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat warm a tablespoon of olive oil. When heated add the sweet potato and toss.
Add sliced shallot rings from one shallot and toss. Cook to a golden brown about 3 – 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
Add a half a cup of broccoli flowerets, a half a cup sliced cherry tomatoes, and a fourth cup of sliced oyster mushrooms. Toss together and cook an additional 3 – 5 minutes just until streamed but not mushy. Remove from heat.
Fry four eggs in a non-stick skillet adding salt, pepper, and a pinch of oregano, to taste.
Spoon the vegetables onto a plate. Top with two fried eggs. Serve with the Aioli Sauce on the side.
Delicious, beautiful, and healthy. – Ella
• 2 garlic cloves, pressed
• 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, jucie from 1/2 a lemon
• 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
• 1 shallot, peeled and sliced into rings
• 1/2 cup broccoli, bite-sized pieces
• 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
• 1/4 oyster mushrooms, sliced
• 4 eggs
• Salt and pepper
- Mash garlic and salt in small bowl until paste forms. Whisk in mayonnaise, olive oil, and lemon juice. Season to taste with coarse salt and pepper.
- Place the sweet potato into a microwave safe bowl and heat until slightly softened but not fully cooked.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet until hot. Toss in sweet potatoes and shallots cooking until golden brown, about five minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add broccoli, cherry tomatoes, and mushrooms. Cook until stream but still firm, about 3 minutes.
- Fry the eggs in a non-stick skillet. Sprinkle with oregano, salt, and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with the aioli sauce on the side.