Seared Scallops on a weekday? These elegant morsels look like you spent all day preparing them, but in fact, they take very little time to cook up golden and delicious! Serve them over white cheddar and bacon mashed potatoes with braised arugula on the side. Fancy!
Start with the potatoes as they take the longest. Peel and quarter three firm-type potatoes. Place in a saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender. While they cook fry two slices of bacon until crispy. Set aside on a paper towel to drain.
Drain potatoes and return to pan. Add two ounces of shredded extra-sharp white cheddar and a half a cup of milk; mash until smooth. Add a fourth a cup of chopped green onions, a tablespoon of sour cream, salt, and pepper, to taste. Crumble the bacon and add to pan. Stir and heat through. Turn off heat, cover, and keep warm.
Pat scallops dry with a paper towel and season both sides well with salt and pepper. The trick to crisp evenly browned scallops is to make sure they are fully drained and dry.
Get out two skillets. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in each skillet.
Heat one skillet over medium-high heat, the other over medium heat. In the medium-high skillet gently place the scallops, making sure not to overlap. Let them sear two minutes undisturbed.
Add 2 cloves minced garlic to the second skillet set to medium heat stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant but not browned, about 2 -3 minutes.
Turn the scallops and cook the other side for two minutes.
Add eight ounces of rinsed and well-drained baby arugula to the garlic stirring constantly until slightly wilted, 1 – 2 minutes. Add a tablespoon balsamic vinegar and cook an additional minute. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove to a plate, keeping warm.
Scoop the mashed potatoes in three mounds on a plate. Top with braised arugula. Top with a seared scallop.
Dinner in less than 30 minutes that will impress even your mother-in-law! – Ella
Pan-Seared Scallops and White Cheddar & Bacon Mashed Potatoes
White Cheddar and Bacon Mashed Potatoes
• 3 firm potatoes, like Yukon Gold
• 1/2 cup extra-sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1/4 cup chopped green onions
• 1 tablespoon sour cream
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
• 1 pound sea scallops
• Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
- White Cheddar and Bacon Mashed Potatoes
- Peel and quarter potatoes. Place in a saucepan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and return potato to pan. Add cheese and milk; mash to desired consistency. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly. Add onions and remaining ingredients, stirring to combine. Pan-Seared Scallops
- Preheat a medium-sized cast-iron pan to medium-high.
- Pat scallops dry with a paper towel and season both sides well with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to pan. When it begins to shimmer and is almost the point of smoking add scallops.
- Cook scallops 2 minutes, turn and heat the other side 2 minutes. Will be nicely browned and caramelized when done. Be careful not to overcook.