It has been an interesting Spring this year with three major snowstorms in April. This has never happened in my neck of the woods. But, I think we have finally turned the corner and Spring, the real Spring with sunny days, warming temperatures, the necessary showers to bring on May flowers, is finally here!
I’m celebrating its fashionably late arrival with my favorite in-season vegetable, asparagus. For this week’s brunch, I am preparing an asparagus and tomato quiche using gruyere cheese, which melts up smooth and even with fruity notes.
Trim and cut a pound of asparagus into thirds. Place in a steamer and cover steaming until tender about 2-6 minutes.
If you can bake (I’m so jealous!) prepare a single crust pie shell. If, however, you are like me and your crust turns out rubbery or crumbles and falls apart upon rolling it out, use a ready-to-fill pie crust. Sprinkle a fourth of a cup of roughly chopped scallions and the asparagus into the pie shell. Keep the pie crust in the refrigerator until ready to use. Cold pastry that goes into a hot oven becomes extra flaky. Yum!
Shred a cup of gruyere cheese and toss over the vegetables.
Whisk four eggs with a cup of half-and-half, ¼ teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Stir in one tablespoon fresh chopped parsley. Pour over cheese.
Slice a half a cup of cherry tomatoes into thin slices and arrange them on the top of the eggs. Cutting them into thin slices will keep the tomatoes from floating amuck and ruining your masterpiece.
Bake in a preheated 350°F oven until the eggs are set, about 40 to 50 minutes. Take out of the oven and let cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Beautiful! Easy! So Good! – Ella
Asparagus Tomato Quiche
• 1 ready-to-fill pie crust, softened
• 1 pound fresh asparagus
• 1/4 cup scallions, roughly chopped
• 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
• 4 eggs, slightly beaten
• 1 cup half-and-half
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
• 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Trim and cut the asparagus into 1/2” pieces. Place in a steamer and cover. Cook until tender about 2-6 minutes.
- Sprinkle scallions and asparagus into pie shell. Spread cheese on top.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Stir in the parsley. Pour over cheese.
- Arrange the tomatoes on top of egg mixture.
- Bake uncovered in preheated oven until filling is set, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.