Here’s a recipe you can use for Meatless Monday or Taco Tuesday and is the second addition to my three-part meatless taco series. This one resembles a traditional taco but uses veggie meat in place of ground beef and a fresh Mexican corn salad instead of lettuce and tomatoes. You will not miss the meat!
If you are using fresh corn on the cob, and I hope you are, cut the corn off of 4 – 5 cobs, enough to make 4cups. Frozen will do if fresh corn is out of season.
Heat a skillet over high heat until hot. Add a tablespoon of butter, or olive oil, swirling above the heat to melt. Add the corn and cook until the corn starts to char about 4-5 minutes.
Transfer corn to bowl and let cool for a few minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl make the dressing. Whisk together 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, juice from one lime, 6 tablespoons mayonnaise, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
To the corn add 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro, 1/2 red bell pepper, 1 diced jalapeno pepper, and 1 cup crumbled cotija cheese. Mix in the dressing and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Wrap flour tortillas in foil and warm in the oven to soften and prevent ripping.
Using the same skillet as the corn cooked in, add 14 ounces of meatless veggie meat. Veggie meat tends to be dry when frying. You might need to add some olive oil to keep it from sticking and drying out. Once the veggie meat is crumbled add a 1/4 cup taco seasonings, 1/2 cup diced Spanish onion, 1/4 cup green chilies, and 1/4 cup water. Simmer over medium heat continuing to break the veggie meat into fine crumbles until well blended.
Assemble the tacos: Spoon veggie meat down the center of each tortilla shells.
Spoon corn over meat. Fold in half. Add some avocado slices and drizzle with sour cream. Serve with salsa and extra corn salad on the side.
My husband thoroughly enjoyed these and only paused when I told him they were meatless. Then he smiled made another one and congratulated me on finding a meatless dish he likes. I hope you like them as well! – Ella
Chipotle Corn Tacos
Mexican Street Corn
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 4 cups fresh (or frozen) Sweet Corn, cut off the cob
• 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 1 Lime, squeezed
• 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
• 1/2 red bell pepper
• 1 jalapeno pepper
• 1 Cup Cotija Cheese, Crumbled
• Salt and Pepper, to taste
• 14 ounces meatless veggie meat
• 1/4 cup taco seasonings
• 1/2 cup Spanish onion, diced
• 1/4 cup green chilies, diced
• 1/4 cup water
• 1 package 6” flour, or corn, tortilla shells
• 1 avocado, sliced
• Sour cream
• Salsa or Taco Sauce
- Heat the butter in a skillet over high heat. Add the corn and stir. Cook until the corn starts to char a bit, approximately 4 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer the corn to a large bowl and let it cool for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk the chipotle chili powder, cumin, lime juice, mayonnaise, and garlic powder. Mix into the corn mixture.
- Adding the cilantro, bell pepper, diced jalapeno pepper, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until blended. Set aside.
- In the skillet add the veggie meat, taco seasoning, onion, green chilies, and water. Cook over medium heat breaking into crumbles as it heats.
- Assemble the tacos: Spoon veggie meat down the center of each tortilla shell, follow with corn salad. Add a slice of avocado, sour cream, and salsa if you like. Fold in half and enjoy.
- Serve with the extra Mexican corn salad.