I have never made eggs benedict before but, I have always wanted to try. So, armed with false bravery, and a lot of leftover ham from Easter dinner, I’m going to give it a try. Fingers crossed!
Eggs Benedict involves poached eggs so step one is adding water to a saucepan and bringing it to a gentle rolling boil. Once the water starts to boil add a tablespoon of vinegar.
Microwave one stick of butter in a microwave-safe bowl until butter is melted. Separate the yolks from 3 eggs and add yolks to a mixer with a wire beater attached.
Discard the egg whites, or if you have barn cats feed them the whites. Eggs are easily digested, and actually very healthy for cats. You can try to feed them to your indoor cat, but if yours is like mine, he is already spoiled on moist cat food and will turn his nose up at being fed “scraps”.
Add two eggs to a small bowl to allow them to be gently slid into the boiling water. Poach for 4 – 6 minutes.
Now the delicate dance begins where all things need to start and finish all at the same time! Yikes!
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in skillet. Add 3 ounces of fresh spinach to skillet and saute to wilt, approximately 3 minutes.
Slide 2 slices of wheat bread, or English muffins, in the toaster and start toaster. I use Brownberry’s natural wheat bread which is thinner and a bit hardier which holds under the weight of eggs benedict.
Turn the mixer on high and beat eggs until they begin to foam. Grab the melted butter out of the microwave and in a thin stream add to the eggs keeping the blender on high throughout.
Add 1 teaspoon of dried cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, and 1/2 – 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper, and the juice of 1 lime. Beat on high for 1 – 2 minutes.
Lay toasted bread on a plate, layer with wilted spinach, add a slice of thin ham, lay one poached egg on each slice of bread, and drizzle with the Hollandaise sauce.
Serve with a cup of fresh fruit. So Good! – Ella
• 5 eggs, 3 separated
• 1 stick of butter
• 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
• Juice of 1 fresh lime
• Thinly sliced ham
• 2 slices whole wheat bread
• 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Add water to a saucepan and bring to a gentle rolling boil.
- Add white vinegar to boiling water.
- Melt butter in microwave proof measuring cup or bowl. You want the butter to be very hot. Separate 3 eggs and add the yolks to a mixer with the wire beater attachment.
- Add remaining two eggs to a small bowl.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in skillet. Add spinach to skillet and saute to wilt about 3 minutes.
- Toast the bread.
- Gently slide the two eggs into the boiling water and poach 4 minutes for soft, or 6 minutes for medium.
- Turn the mixer on high and beat eggs until beginning to foam. Add the butter to the eggs in a thin steady stream on high speed.
- Add cilantro, chipotle chili pepper, cumin, and lime juice and continue to beat on high for a minute or two.
- Assemble the dish and serve immediately.