I love my Sunday mornings. It is the one day I allow myself to sleep in. The chores can wait. There is no running late to work/school. And today the birds are singing, the sun is shining, and I’m in the mood to spoil my family with one of our favorite morning dishes: cheesy biscuits and eggs.
The goodness starts with southern biscuits with herbs and cheese mixed into the batter. In a large bowl, stir together 2 1/2 cups of flour, 4 teaspoons of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda until combined.
Add 1 stick of cold butter. Using a pastry cutter cut the butter into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs.
Make a well in the center and pour chilled buttermilk in the center. Stir until the dough comes together, it will be very sticky. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough for 4 to 6 strokes or just till dough holds together.
For thinner biscuits, pat or lightly roll dough into a 12-inch square. Using a biscuit cutter push straight down through the dough or cut the dough with a floured knife into sixteen 3-inch squares. For thicker biscuits pat dough into a 1-inch thick rectangle instead which will give you approximately 6-8 biscuits.
Arrange biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 450°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Remove biscuits from baking sheet.
While the biscuits bake, start the roasted pepper garlic chive sauce. In blender place 3 cloves garlic, 1 jar (12-ounce) roasted red pepper, 2 shallots, 2 tablespoons white vinegar, 2 tablespoons minced chives, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Blend until smooth. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season with salt to tastes. Simmer for 10 minutes.
While the sauce is simmering cook some breakfast sausage patties according to package directions or bacon. Make the Perfect Fried Egg.
On a plate: Split a biscuit in half. Place a sausage patty or bacon on the bottom bun. Top with a fried egg. Sprinkle some fresh minced chives over top for garnish. Spoon some sauce on the side. Serve with sliced cherry tomatoes.
Serve immediately. So Good! – Ella
Savory Cheese Biscuit
• 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 stick cold butter
• 1 cup shredded Havarti cheese
• 2 teaspoons dried parsley
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda until well combined.
- Using a pastry cutter cut in the cold butter.
- Add the cheese, parsley, and oregano and mix together.
- Make a well in the center of the bowl and pour in buttermilk.
- Stir until the dough comes together, it will be very sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough for 4 to 6 strokes or just till dough holds together.
- Pat or lightly roll dough into a 12-inch square. Cut the dough with a floured knife into sixteen 3-inch squares.
- Arrange biscuits on ungreased baking sheets. Bake in a 450°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Remove biscuits from baking sheet.
Roasted Pepper Garlic-Chive Sauce
• 3 cloves garlic
• 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red pepper
• 2 shallots
• 2 tablespoons white vinegar
• 2 tablespoons minced chives
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place all ingredients, except the butter and salt, into a blender and blend until smooth. Heat butter over medium-high heat until melted. Pour pepper mixture into skillet. Season with salt to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.