I’ve been slowly introducing vegetarian dishes into our weekly meal plans. I do this for good reasons, to cut down on red meat and to introduce my children to other food options. And for a selfish reason, there are many delicious vegan dishes today. Even my husband, a hardcore meat lover, is starting to appreciate many of the dishes.
One of the most accepted dishes in our home is tacos. I can pretty much introduce anything if I wrap it up in a taco shell. I created many meatless tacos over the years. Over the next three weeks, I’ll share a few that have gone over very well in our house.
The first one is the Sweet Potato & Black Bean Tacos.
In a medium bowl, toss together a bag of coleslaw mix, some fresh chopped cilantro, with some olive oil, lime juice, a few tablespoons of cumin, a tablespoon of cayenne pepper and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
The cayenne packs a punch so if you do not like spicy food reduce the amount or substitute another spice. Perhaps a chipotle chili powder instead.
Refrigerate for at least an hour to blend flavors.
In a sauté pan, warm a tablespoon of olive oil. Toss in 2 diced sweet potatoes and sauté for 8 – 10 minutes. Stir in black beans and sauté for 5 minutes more.
Heat tortillas. Place the potato and beans down the center of each tortilla. Top with lime slaw. Drizzle with jerk sauce.
Serve immediately. So Good! – Ella
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Tacos
• 1 (16 ounces) bag coleslaw mix
• 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 3 tablespoons lime juice
• 2 tablespoons ground cumin
• 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
• 1 tablespoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 2 Sweet Potatoes, diced
• 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 package flour tortillas, taco size
• Jerk sauce
- Combine coleslaw mix and cilantro in a serving bowl.
- Whisk olive oil, lime juice, cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper together in a separate bowl; pour over the coleslaw mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
- In a sauté pan warm olive oil. Toss in sweet potatoes and sauté on medium heat for 8 – 10 minutes. Add Black beans and sauté 5 more minutes.
- Heat flour tortillas. Place the potato and beans down the center of tortilla. Top with lime slaw. Drizzle with jerk sauce.
- Serve immediately.