So much granola, so little time! Yep, that’s right, I’m adding one more granola recipe to the masses because, like pizza and gourmet hamburgers, give me more!
In a large bowl combine 8 cups whole grain oat flakes, 1 1/2 cups wheat germ, and 1 cup each of your four favorite finely chopped nuts. I used pistachios, almonds, brazil nuts, and pecans. I like to loosely chop the almonds, giving me varying sizes and leaving about a fourth of them full.
Note: Substitute one of the nuts for your favorite dried fruit.
In a medium saucepan stir together 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup caramel syrup, 3/4 cup honey, 1 cup coconut oil, and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Remove from heat. Pour over the dry ingredients stirring until coated. Spread the mixture evenly onto the baking sheets.
Bake in a preheated 325°F oven for 20 minutes, or until crispy and toasted. Stir once halfway through cooking time. Remove from heat and let cool. Store in airtight containers.
Note: This recipe makes a lot of granola. To give it a longer shelf life, I like to bake my granola in quart jars to seal in the freshness. Instead of placing on baking sheets I spoon into quart jars. Bake at 250°F for 50 minutes. Turn off the oven but do not remove jars, instead let them cool in the oven. Otherwise, I would advise cutting the ingredients in half.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy granola, besides by handfuls, is with yogurt and fresh fruit.
In a bowl, spread your favorite yogurt. Drizzle in some honey. Top with homemade granola and fresh fruit. Today, I’ve used strawberries and blueberries.
Just making it easier to get out of bed! – Ella
• 8 cups whole grain oat flakes
• 1 1/2 cups wheat germ
• 1 cup hazelnuts, chopped
• 1 cup almonds, chopped
• 1 cup brazil nuts, chopped
• 1 cup pecans, chopped
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 cup caramel syrup
• 3/4 cup honey
• 1 cup coconut oil
• 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the oat flakes, wheat germ, oat bran, hazelnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, and pecans.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the salt, brown sugar, caramel syrup, coconut, honey, palm oil, and vanilla. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and stir to coat. Spread the mixture out evenly on the baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven 20 minutes, or until crispy and toasted. Stir once halfway through. Cool, keep stored in an airtight container.