Tonight’s dinner is a fresh pan roasted herb chicken breast sliced and layered over sauteed asparagus, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes with sliced roasted potatoes.
Wash and pat dry 4 chicken breasts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, a tablespoon each of fresh thyme, sage, and rosemary.
Wash and dry the vegetables. Line a baking sheet with foil. Slice the potatoes into thick slices. Brush with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, or your favorite seasoning. Set the potatoes aside for now.
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Warm some olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in skillet and sear 5 minutes. Turn over and sear the other side for 3 minutes.
Turn the heat down to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Place the potatoes in the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
While chicken simmers and potatoes bake, sauté the vegetables in a heavy sauté pan. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil with a tablespoon of butter over high heat being careful not to burn the butter. Add a bunch of asparagus and a cup of sliced mushrooms to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes. Vegetables can burn quickly if left unattended at this heat so be sure to continue to toss and stir through the sautéing process.
Reduce the heat to medium and add halved cherry tomatoes to pan and sauté 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and thyme. Keep warm.
Remove the chicken to a plate and keep warm. Scrape the sides and bottoms of the pan loosening the bits. Add chicken broth and salt & pepper cooking until liquid is reduced to about half and is the color of a nice rich cognac.
Gently toss the vegetables, potatoes, and broth together. Scoop onto a plate. Slice the chicken broth and place over the top of the vegetables. Serve immediately. – Ella
Pleasant Grove Chicken
• 4 chicken breasts
• 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
• 1 tablespoon fresh sage
• 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
• 4 medium firm potatoes, like Yukon Gold
• 1 bunch asparagus
• 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
• 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1/2 cup chicken broth
• 3tablespoons olive oil
• 1 tablespoon butter
• Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken breasts. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, one tablespoon each of the thyme, sage, and rosemary.
- Warm olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot place chicken in skillet and sear 5 minutes. Turn over and sear the over side for an additional 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low, cover skillet with a lid and let pan roast undisturbed for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Wash and pat dry the potatoes, asparagus, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes.
- Cut the potatoes into thick slices. Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet covered in foil. Brush with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, or your favorite seasoning. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Cut an inch off the bottom of each asparagus spear.
- In a sauté pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil with 1 tablespoon butter on high until butter is melted. Be careful not to burn. Add asparagus and mushrooms to the pan, salt & pepper, to taste. Sauté for 4 minutes constantly moving the vegetables around while cooling at a high temperature.
- Reduce heat to medium, add cherry slices and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Take vegetables off the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon thyme and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Keep warm.
- Remove chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Scrape the skillet loosening the bits from the sides and bottom. Add the chicken broth, salt & pepper, to taste. Simmer over medium heat until reduced and the color of a dark cognac. Drizzle over the chicken and serve.