Here’s a savory shortbread biscuit recipe with a hint of lemon sure to please. Serve as a base for shortcake or with a cup of tea.
I love the simplicity of this recipe. A classic shortbread biscuit is three simple ingredients of butter, sugar, and flour. I add the zest of one lemon and some thyme to give it a more complexed taste.
For a subtle lemony taste add one tablespoon of zest. If you like a stronger lemon taste add a bit more zest until you get the full flavor to your taste. Press in a baking pan.
Prick the dough with a fork to make straight and even lines.
Bake at 300°F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned.
So Good! – Ella
Lemon & Thyme Shortbread Biscuits
• 1 cup butter, softened
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 cups flour
• Zest of 1 lemon
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat the oven to 300° F.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the zest and thyme to the butter mixture and gradually stir in the flour until well blended.
- Spread or pat the dough in the bottom of an ungreased baking pan. Prick the dough all over with a fork.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until just lightly browned. Remove from oven and immediately pierce all over with a fork. Cut into bars. Cool completely before removing from pan.