Here’s a hearty brunch plate sure to fill you up on a weekend morning. Scrambled eggs, fried potatoes, sitting beside seasoned black beans all sprinkled with shredded muenster cheese. Dig in!
Cut red potatoes into bite-sized chunks. Salt and pepper to taste.
Cook in a cast iron skillet with olive oil and melted butter that has been heated to hot.
Cook turning every 5 minutes until all sides are a nice golden brown. Reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid, and let simmer until ready to use.
Next sauté some red pepper, green onion, and garlic in a skillet heated with olive oil until veggies are soft and fragrant.
Add a can of black beans that have been rinsed and drained. Stir and set to simmer until ready to use.
Scramble some eggs that have been whisked with a bit of milk and fresh cilantro.
Drain and soak up any excess fat on potatoes. Divide the potatoes between four plates. Scoop the beans next to potatoes. Top with scrambled eggs. Sprinkle with shredded muenster cheese allowing the heat from the food to melt the cheese.
Serve with sliced avocado and cream cheese. – Ella
Southwest Breakfast Bowl
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 4 – 6 red potatoes, chunked
• 5 tablespoons butter
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
• 1/4 cup green onion, sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon cumin
• 1 can (14-ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
• 8 eggs
• 1/4 cup milk
• 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
• Shredded muenster cheese
- Wash and dry potatoes. Cut into bite-sized chunks. Salt and pepper to taste. Heat 1 tablespoon oil and 3 tablespoons butter in cast iron skillet. When butter and oil are hot, add the potatoes. Do not overcrowd. Salt and pepper, to taste. Cook for 10 minutes and turn. Cook another 5 – 10 minutes until potatoes are golden brown. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and let simmer until ready to use. Drain excess fat before serving.
- Using a sauté pan 1 tablespoon heat oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onions, and garlic. Sauté 3 – 5 minutes, or until vegetables are soft and fragrant. Stir in black beans and cumin. Simmer on low until ready to use.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, add milk and cilantro. Whisk until blended. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Pour in eggs. As eggs begin to set, gently fold and break up the eggs, forming large soft curds. When no visible liquid remains, remove from heat.
- Divide the potatoes between four plates. Add beans. Top with scrambled eggs. Sprinkle with shredded muenster cheese allowing the heat of the dish to melt the cheese.
- Serve immediately.