Okay, true confessions! Loaded toast comes from a late night in college which is never pretty and often regretted the next day. Only this concoction became a legend within our group and made a regular appearance on weekends. I’ve made changes, cleaned it up a bit, gave it a more sophisticated look and despite its interesting past, it has turned into a fulfilling breakfast that now makes a healthier appearance on busy mornings.
Peel and shred a sweet potato. Hopefully you, unlike me, have an attachment on your food processor.
Dice some onion. Hopefully you, unlike me, don’t have a picky eater. If you do mince instead of dice.
Place the shredded potato into a bowl, add the onion, some flour, and two eggs. Mix together. Form into six small pancakes. Season with salt and pepper.
Place in a preheated 375° oven and bake for 15- 20 minutes, or until the pancakes are set.
Meanwhile, place a package of softened cream cheese and fresh chives in a small bowl and mix until smooth.
Spread butter on six pieces of bread. Turnover and spread the cream cheese on the other side. Place the buttered side on a griddle. Place a hash brown on the cream cheese.
Fry six eggs. BTW…if you haven’t tried a copper-colored CeramiTech nonstick skillet yet, do! They fry without butter or oil heating up evenly and live up to the hype.
Set an egg on a hash brown. Top with cheddar cheese. Toast in griddle until cheese is melted and bottom of bread is toasted to a nice golden brown.
If you like breakfast sandwiches, go ahead and add a piece of buttered toast on top. Mash down slightly for an oozy, gooey, finger-licking morning sandwich. – Ella
• 1 large sweet potatoes, shredded
• 1/4 medium onion, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons flour
• 8 eggs
• salt and pepper to taste
• 6-12 slices thick bread
• 2 – 4 tablespoons of butter, softened
• 1 (3ounce) package cream cheese, softened
• 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
• 6 slices cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place potatoes in a bowl, add the onion, flour, and 2 of the eggs. Mix together. Shape into six pancakes and place on a foil-lined baking sheet sprayed with cooking oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pancakes are set.
- Place cream cheese in a small bowl, add the chives and mix until smooth. Spread butter on six slices of bread. Turnover and spread cream cheese on the other side. Place the buttered side down on a griddle.
- Place a hash brown on top of each cream cheese toast.
- Fry the remaining eggs. Place on top of the sweet potato hash brown. Add a slice of cheese.
- Toast on griddle until the cheese is melted and the bottom of toast is grilled to a nice golden brown, about 5 to 8 minutes depending on the heat setting.
- Serve immediately.