The yummy and cheesy garlic bread was the inspiration behind this breakfast sandwich. I opted to use a whole wheat pita pocket with the buttery sweetness of Havarti for the cheesy bread. Topped with scrambled eggs, crumbled bacon, and a slice of tomato makes it a bit easier to get out of bed on Saturday morning.
Cut a pita bread in half and place on a baking sheet.
Combine softened butter with minced garlic and stir well. Combine shredded Havarti cheese with mayonnaise.
Spread the garlic butter on pita bread. Top with the cheese and mayonnaise mixture.
Bake in a 375° until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
While the bread bakes, prepare scrambled eggs. Add salt, pepper, and some dried parsley to eggs and whisk. Drop a tablespoon of butter in a skillet and melt until frothy.
Pour the eggs into the center of the skillet allowing the eggs to push the butter outward and covering the bottom of the skillet. Stir slowly using a wooden spoon or spatula and folding the eggs inward while gently turning over one another.
When the bread is done, layer the eggs over the bottom half of the pita. Sprinkle crumbled bacon over eggs, add some tomato slices and cover with the top of the pita bread.
Making mornings bearable! – Ella
• 3 tablespoons butter, softened
• 1 clove garlic, finely minced
• 1/2 cup shredded Havarti cheese
• 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
• 4 pita bread, halves
• 4 large eggs
• Pinch of sea salt
• Pinch of black pepper
• 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
• 4 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled
• 1 tomato, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375° degrees.
- Cut pita in half lengthwise and set on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl combined 2 tablespoons softened butter with minced garlic. Stir well.
- In another bowl, combine shredded Havarti cheese with mayonnaise.
- Spread garlic butter on pita halves followed by the cheese/mayo mixture.
- Bake in an oven for about 8-10 minutes. Until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- While the bread is in the oven prepare the eggs.
- Crack eggs into a bowl. Add salt, pepper, and parsley. Beat the eggs together with a fork.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter to a nonstick skillet. Melt the butter slowly until its frothy.
- Pour in the eggs. Stir slowly using a wooden spoon or spatula folding the curds inward and gently turning over.
- Transfer the eggs to a plate as no more liquid is running around the pan. Let the eggs rest for 1 minute to finish cooking.
- Assemble the pitawich: place the scrambled eggs on the bottom half of the pita bread. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon over the eggs. Layer sliced tomatoes over bacon. Cover with the top half of the pita bread.