Christmas morning is a time for family, love, and beauty. Every year before we open presents we enjoy a family brunch. This allows the anticipation of Christmas to last just a bit longer. And contrary to what you would think, the kids love the wait. In the words of my children, “Otherwise Christmas is over too fast.”
This is the one morning I take time to make brunch a display of deliciousness filling the kitchen with wonderful aromas and taking care in the presentation arranging the foods and setting the dining room table just so to add to the festive mood. S’mores Waffles are a wonderful addition to Christmas morning; as pretty to look at as they are to taste!
Start with a homemade marshmallow crème syrup: Set an egg out to warm to room temperature. When the egg is ready, beat the egg white with 3/4 cup of light corn syrup and 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar until it is thick and doubled in volume, about 5 minutes.
Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in sifted confectioners’ sugar until combined. Beat in vanilla extract. Turn off mixer but leave beaters and bowl in place for later.
Next, make the waffle batter: In a large bowl, stir flour and ½ cup graham cracker crumbs (4 sheets equal 1/2 cup) with baking powder, salt, and sugar.
In a separate bowl, separate egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form.
Mix together the egg yolks, milk, oil, and vanilla bean. Scrape out the seeds to use in the batter discarding the pod. (I used all of my vanilla bean cookie baking last week so I will substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla extract instead).
Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
Place batter on a hot oiled waffle griddle and cook until nice and fluffy.
Finish the marshmallow crème syrup: Add milk to the crème little by little until it is the consistency of a thick syrup.
Note: Skip the milk and you have a great marshmallow crème!
Plate: Place a waffle on a plate, drizzle with marshmallow creme syrup, sprinkle with shaved chocolate and the remaining graham cracker crumbs.
Merry Christmas! – Ella
Marshmallow Crème Syrup
• 1 egg white at room temperature
• 3/4 cup light corn syrup
• 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
• 3/4 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
• 2 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
• 1 1/2 cups flour
• 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 2 cups milk
• 1 vanilla bean, cut to 2”
• 1 semi-sweet chocolate bar
- Marshmallow Crème
- Beat egg white, corn syrup, and cream of tartar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until the mixture is thick and doubled in volume, about 5 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in confectioners’ sugar until thoroughly combined. Beat vanilla extract into marshmallow creme just until blended.
- Add milk to crème little by little until the consistency of a thick syrup
- Oil and preheat the waffle iron.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl saving some graham cracker crumbs for garnish.
- In a separate bowl, separate egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Mix together the egg yolks, milk, oil, and vanilla seeds, stir slightly.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix well.