This week’s salad is a tuna salad. I love the colors and how beautifully this recipe plates. I honestly think my obsession with salads started with the colors. Sure, they’re good and nutrients but when color is considered something wonderful happens. All your senses are engaged. That’s the idea behind this salad, color.
Start by draining a 6.4-ounce envelope of tuna to prevent a runny salad. There is less water in an envelope then the canned, but it is still packed in water and should be drained.
In a medium bowl add the drained tuna, some black olives, dark green sweet relish, orange carrots, light green celery, red pepper, with fennel seed, salt, and pepper to taste. Whether it’s this recipe or another always use spices as a suggestion, not a must. Season to your personal taste. Mix together.
See how nice the colors mix. Add mayonnaise and toss until mayo is blended throughout. I like my tuna salad chilled, so I’ll cover it with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerate for 30 minutes.
While the tuna chills, mix the balsamic vinaigrette. In a small bowl combine balsamic vinegar with Dijon mustard and garlic. Add olive oil slowly whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
Take a plate and on half of the plate layout a Spring Mix. Add some purple onion to the lettuce and top with julienne carrots. Going around the rest of plate in a circular pattern fill the plate with finely shredded radicchio, thinly sliced tomatoes, Italian bread cut in half, a scoop of the tuna mixture, sliced red peppers. In the center of the plate insert a ramekin of balsamic vinaigrette.
Almost too pretty to eat. Almost, but it’s too delicious not to. I really hope you enjoy this one. – Ella
• 1 6.4-ounce package tuna
• 2 tablespoons black olives, diced
• 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
• 2 tablespoons julienne carrots, diced
• 2 tablespoons celery, diced
• 2 tablespoons red pepper, diced
• ¼ cup mayonnaise
• 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Drain tuna. Place drained tuna into a medium bowl and flake the tuna. Add the olives, sweet relish, carrots, celery, red pepper, fennel seed, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix together to blend the ingredients. Add 1/4 cup mayonnaise and mix just until the mayo is blended throughout the tuna. Chill for 30 minutes.
• 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, mustard, and garlic. Add the oil in a slow steady stream, whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.