A taquito is a small rolled-up tortilla that contains a filling. Traditionally it’s filled with beef, cheese, or chicken but today I’m filling it with chorizo sausage, chihuahua cheese, and scrambled eggs. It’s my version of the breakfast burrito taquito-style. Because really isn’t taquito just more fun to say.
Start by frying the chorizo sausage in a pan using a wooden spatula to break it apart as it cooks.
Add some diced red pepper and diced onion to the sausage and cook until vegetables are tender.
Drain meat and set aside. Whisk eggs with milk, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour into a Teflon or non-stick skillet stirring and breaking up eggs to desired consistency.
Lay the tortillas on a board. The flavors of the sausage and cheese go well with corn tortillas if you prefer the taste of corn over flour and if you have found a way to keep the corn from tearing. Spoon some egg, then sausage down the center of each tortilla, sprinkled with cheese.
Roll each tortilla in a tight roll and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Place the wrapped taquito in a 13” x 9” baking pan. In a preheated 350° oven bake for 15 – 20 minutes.
Take the taquitos out of the oven. Unwrap and plate as many taquitos as needed. Serve with chipotle salsa.
Place any unwrapped taquitos in a Ziploc freezer bag and freeze for another day.
Enjoy! – Ella
• 1 red pepper, diced
• 1 small onion, diced
• ½ lb. chorizo sausage
• 8 eggs
• ¼ cup milk
• 1 cup chihuahua cheese
• 1 pkg. of 12 6” flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Fry sausage in a skillet over medium heat until no longer pink, 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and onions to sausage and stir. Cook another 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Drain sausage in a colander. Continue to drain while cooking the eggs.
- Whisk eggs with milk. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a nonstick skillet and scramble eggs.
- Lay the flour tortillas out on a board. In the center of each shell layer eggs, sausage, and cheese in the center.
- Roll each tortilla into a tight roll and wrap in aluminum foil. Place the wrapped tortilla in a 13” x 9” baking pan.
- When all tortillas are wrapped and ready place in oven for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Unwrap and serve immediately.